Hamburger Soup With Veggies
This month is also National Soup Month and boy does that sound good today as we are overcast, damp and just plain Yucky! We will be eating hamburger soup for lunch that we have leftover from the weekend and I can’t wait to eat a nice hot lunch as I can’t shake the chill off today. Just learned something interesting from my picky sister, she doesn’t like homemade soups, as much as I love her, I don’t think she’s from this planet! Of course she does love her husband’s homemade clam chowder and she did enjoy my cream of broccoli soup I made when she was visiting us, but she still prefers soup out of a can and there aren’t too many of those she likes either, sick woman for someone who loves to cook as I do!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) tomatoes, cut up
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp beef bouillon
- 1 teas dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, brown the beef until no longer pink, breaking meat apart during the cooking time; drain off fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and add 5 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
This is just a simple and quick way to make a tasty hot dish of soup and everybody loves soup during the cold days of winter, right? Enjoy and let me know, canned soup versus homemade!