Fruit Cocktail Cake
Today, for some unknown reason, is National Fruit Cake Day and I figured if anyone made fruit cake for the holiday, they would have already done so, hence this recipe instead of the traditional holiday fruit cake. This recipe hails from and old cookbook of mine called the Favorite Recipes of America and was submitted by a Mrs. John F. Weber back in the 1960’s. I have yet to try it as I am not a big fan of canned fruit cocktail, but I’m sure my mother would have loved to make it as she always had fruit cocktail in the house for when she had no fresh fruit for her dessert at lunchtime! Of course, she loved the traditional fruit cakes too.
- 1 egg
- 1 can (16 oz) fruit cocktail with the juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teas baking soda
- ½ teas salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- Combine the first 6 ingredients and mix well.
- Spread mixture into a greased layer cake pan.
- Combine the brown sugar and walnuts and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
Really sounds like a cake to take on a picnic in the summer time, so all who are getting hit with all this snow, just think summer and nice warm temps………………enjoy!