The other day while I was at the flea market, I came across a 1979 Benson & Hedges 100’s drink recipes from 100 of the greatest bars, who along with experts from Playboy magazine, selected this recipe for Sangria. The bar is in Dallas, Texas and I wish I had known back when Kenny used to go there for company seminars, as he could have tried it out and compared it to the one we make! I read today that red wines such as burgundy is going to spike in price, (just like everything else!), as there was extremely bad weather this year where the grapes were grown, so you better stock up now before it’s too late, I will!
- ½ gallon red burgundy wine, chilled
- 1 qt grapefruit juice, chilled
- ½ gallon orange juice, chilled
- ½ gallon simple syrup mix, chilled*
- Champagne, chilled
- Grapefruit and orange slices
- Lime wedges or mint sprigs
- * Simple syrup mixture is 8 cups of granulated sugar and 8 cups of water, cooked until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Pour burgundy, juices and syrup mix into a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour over ice cubes into 20 ounce glasses and top off with 1-1/2 ounces of champagne.
- Garnish with grapefruit and/or orange slices with a lime wedge and/or mint sprig.
Nice for those holiday parties…………….enjoy!