Bavarian Cream Pie
Today is National Bavarian Cream Pie Day and this is a nice simple recipe that goes way back according to my mom’s recipe box. My dad was a big fan of any kind of cream pies (especially Boston Cream Pie) and cakes and was the skinniest man when he was young and with my mom’s home cooking it’s hard to believe he could stay so trim! Of course he was a hard working man and probably burned those calories off with ease.
- 16 graham crackers, crushed
- 1 teas cinnamon
- ⅓ sugar
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 pkg unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teas salt
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1 teas vanilla extract
- ½ pint heavy cream, whipped
- Combine all the crust ingredients together and press into a 9-inch pie plate, reserving a few crumbs for the top.
- For the filling, soften gelatin in the water and set aside.
- Cook slightly beaten eggs yolks, sugar, salt and milk in a double boiler until mixture coats a spoon.
- Mix in the gelatin mixture and remove from heat; let cool until slightly thickened.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the gelatin mixture along with the vanilla and whipped cream.
- Pour into prepared crust and top with remaining crumbs.
- Store in the frig any uneaten pie.
Hope you enjoy!