All Vegetable Sloppy Joe
Another recipe for my friends out there who just eat veggies. This is a wonderful version of the traditional sloppy Joe with black-eyed peas, which we love, as a substitute for the hamburger meat with a few other twists thrown in the mix. This is cooked in your crock pot and even better if you make it one day and enjoy it the next, as it gets better after being refrigerated for a day!
- ⅔ cup dry black-eyed peas
- 3 medium carrots, pared and chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped fine
- 4 garlic clover, minced
- ⅔ cup rice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp horseradish mustard
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Soak peas overnight, rinse and drain.
- Place peas in your crock pot along with the next 8 ingredients, cover and cook on LOW heat for 10-12 hours or until peas are cooked.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and vinegar and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Spoon over your favorite buns and serve.
So I hope you enjoy this tasty treat without the meat!