Comeback Chicken Chili
Well it’s Friday and time once again for a football player’s recipe out of my Sunday Night Football Cookbook. This recipe hails from Matt Hasselbeck who now play for the Tennessee Titans and is a former Seattle Seahawk. He suggests serving this green chili with bowls of chopped tomatoes, parsley or cilantro, scallions and black olives, and guacamole, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, and salsa on the side. He says it’s also great with corn bread, or spooned over rice. So let’s see how it sounds!
- 1 can (15-1/2 oz) cannellini beans
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 can (4 oz each) chopped green chiles
- 2 teas ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teas ground cloves
- ¼ teas ground cayenne
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (2 large breasts)
- 3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large pot, combine the beans, broth, half of the onions, and the garlic and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add the remaining onion and saute until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne and stir to combine.
- Scrape the mixture into the broth, add the chicken and simmer for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with cheese.
- Serve immediately!
This is National Chili Month, so get in the kitchen and whip up a big batch of chili for the games this weekend. Go Titans…….enjoy!