I’ve posted a couple of pickle recipes that do not require canning, one from my friend Rambo, “Ice Box Pickles” and one I found on the internet, “Dill Freezer Pickles“. With a fall garden possible as we’re drying out pretty good, finally, I am going to get some seeds started and cucumbers are always top priority for me! This recipe is a little more basic than the others and it does not require dill. We love the pickles that we froze before so now we have a new recipe to try and hopefully they will be as good! This recipe is courtesy of the Florida Cooperative Extension Services and was published back in 1978 in a small pamphlet form called Pickles and Relishes.
- 25 medium sized cucumbers, sliced very thin
- 10 medium onions, sliced
- 5 lbs sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- Soak the cucumbers and onions in the frig for 24 hours in lightly salted water.
- Combine the sugar and vinegar and simmer to dissolve the sugar; let cool overnight.
- Combine the syrup with the cukes and onions and mix well to coat.
- Fill freezer containers and let stand in the freezer for at least one month before using.
This recipe sounds a little sweet, but husband will like them I’m sure! Just hope they come out as crispy as the other ones we made…..enjoy!