Upside Down Lemon Meringue Pie
This is “National Lemon Meringue Pie Day” and almost a year ago to the day I posted my mom’s favorite recipe for the more, what we call normal pie recipe that my mom used to cook quite often. Of course, lemon meringue pie is not something I make too often, as it’s just husband and I and it doesn’t freeze well. So if you want the traditional recipe, I posted it on August 11, 2011, but if you want to try something out of the box, try this!
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 teas vinegar
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Rind of 1 whole lemon
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- Extra lemon zest for top
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; add the sugar and vinegar gradually, beating until creamy.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with heavy waxed paper and pour in the mixture, spreading evenly along the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake in a 275 degree oven for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before filling.
- Mix all ingredients except the cool whip and cook in a double boiler until it has thickened, stirring constantly; let cool.
- Pour filling into the pie crust, spread whipped cream on top and sprinkle with the extra lemon zest.
Don’t forget, this is eat your dessert first month, so enjoy some pie!