Not really a breakfast dish, but I suppose you could eat it then, after all, I have been known to eat cold pizza and other odd things in the morning!
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 can (15 oz) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ teas sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1 teas salt
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked regular grits
- In a heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet and saute onion and pepper until softened; stir in the tomatoes with their liquid and the sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the salt and stir in the grits slowly to prevent clumping.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until grits have thickened.
- Place grits in a serving dish, top with the tomato mixture and sprinkle with the bacon.