Chocolate Potato Cake
National Junk Food Day is upon us today and what better way to indulge than chocolate cake! We like this cake because it’s smaller than the normal cake which is too big for us to eat……….
- ½ cup plain mashed potatoes
- 2-1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teas baking soda
- 2-1/2 tbsp water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teas baking powder
- ¼ teas salt
- ½ teas white rum
- ¼ cup milk
- Grease and flour 2 7-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Mix the potatoes and cream together in a bowl over hot water.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the potato mixture to the butter and sugar and stir in the chocolate.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water and add to mixture.
- Beat the egg yolks, one at a time into the batter.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and fold into the mixture alternately adding the milk and rum.
- Beat the egg white until stiff but not dry and fold ⅓ of them into the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Divide batter into the cake pans and bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes and then cool completely on wire racks.
Frost with your favorite icing and enjoy! Gonna have to go buy some more hooch for the liquor cabinet!