Another delicious lemon cake and as I’ve said before, anything with lemon is a winner for me. Wonderful afternoon treat with a nice glass of iced tea to refresh you on a hot summer’s day!
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 teas baking powder
- ½ teas salt
- ¼ teas nutmeg
- ¼ teas baking soda
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sift together the 1st 6 ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar and lemon rind.
- Combine the egg and milk in a small bowl and mix slightly, stir in the butter. Pour into the flour mixture.
- Stir just until evenly moist and pour into a well greased loaf pan. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes and turn out onto a platter.
- Mix the last 2 ingredients and brush over the top of loaf.
- Cool completely, wrap and let sit for 1 day before slicing.