Homemade Piccalilli Relish
This one goes out to my sister who loves Piccalilli relish and her store stopped selling it. I found it in a old cookbook that I have and the only thing that is kind of obscure is the pickling spices, not sure of how much 1/2 box would be; guess sister will have to wing it!
- 6 quarts chopped green tomatoes
- 1 quart chopped onions
- 1 quart finely chopped cabbage
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- ½ box pickling spices tied in cheesecloth
- Mix vegetables together in a large bowl; salt to taste and let sit overnight.
- Rinse veggies and drain.
- Bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to a boil in a large stock pot; let boil for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook until tender. Cool.
- At this point the mixture can be sealed in hot sterile jars and placed in your pantry.
Never made it, never will as I hate canning. If it can’t be frozen, forget it!!!!