Deep Fried Wonton Strips
A few years ago I found packages of crispy wonton strips in our local Winn Dixie store and had to try them. I was immediately addicted! Next trip to the store I bought a package of wonton wraps determined to make my own, for a lot cheaper price I might add. One 12 ounce package of the wraps runs around $3 versus a 4 ounce package of already made at about $2 and you can sprinkle them with a variety of spices to make them to your taste buds. I like ours with just old plain kosher salt and love to eat them as an alternative to chips with a sandwich, topping for salads for that crunch or sprinkled atop chicken chow mein!
Another great part is that even if they go over the expiration date a little, they can still be fried into these light and crispy treats. This I know for a fact as I have bought them with good intentions and somehow that monster in the frig seems to bury them in the bottom of my drawer and you know the saying “Out of sight, out of mind”! Another plus is that they stay crispy for weeks, that is if they last that long!
|Deep Fried Wonton Strips|| || |
- 1 package wonton wraps
- Oil for frying
- Kosher salt, cinnamon and brown sugar, sea salt, all-purpose seasoning salt, garlic salt, onion salt or any of your favorite seasoning
- Cut wraps into desired size strips and separate (I usually cut them in thirds to keep my time down a little but you can cut them in fourths). Unless you have a helper, cut and separate all wraps before starting to fry.
- Deep fry a few at a time being sure not to over crowd them at 375 degrees, stirring a little while frying to brown evenly especially if you cut them in thirds. Watch them carefully as they take little time to fry and will burn easily.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle while still hot with favorite seasoning.
- When totally cooled, store in zip-lock bags.
I even got to use my mom’s old deep fryer for these babies, gotta love it! Well I did manage to get here again today and now it’s off to start my weekend! Again have a nice rest of the weekend and enjoy………..